We are SOO excited, ya’ll! November is going to be an amazing month at #VanguardSTEM. We’ve been busy building a season finale that we know you’ll love and we want to alert you to THREE things that are happening now:
- We’ll announce our special guest for the season finale TOMORROW at 11:00am ET. You DO NOT want to miss this announcement OR the season finale. We *promise* it will not disappoint.
- We’re running a special contest in honor of the upcoming premiere of Hidden Figures, whose release has been moved up to CHRISTMAS DAY 2016.
- We’ll be using the hashtag: #VSdoesHF for the duration of the month to track all of the contest-goings on.
What is Hidden Figures?
Hidden Figures is the title of a non-fiction book written by Margot Lee Shetterly based on the lives of 4 black women mathematicians who helped to calculate the trajectories and other critical equations that helped us land men on the moon during a time when legally codified segregation and Jim Crow-era violence was the norm. That incredible story has been turned into a movie featuring Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monae, Octavia Spencer and more. As you might imagine, we here at #VanguardSTEM are pumped about it! We think you should see the movie (limited release Christmas Day 2016, nationwide January 6, 2017), but we definitely want you to read the book, so we’re going to incentivize that by having our very first #VS book club WITH PRIZES!
Cut to the chase, what are the prizes???
The grand prize is 2 (two) tickets to see a pre-screening of Hidden Figures in New York City this December, followed by a panel discussion of women in STEM, including our #VS founder and host, Dr. Jedidah Isler. (#VanguardSTEM will also provide 1 (one) hotel room, plus a travel allowance to help you get there.)
Other prizes include #VanguardSTEM swag PLUS:
- A “night-out at the movies” on us! #VanguardSTEM will send you a $50 voucher to purchase tickets to see Hidden Figures in your local theater and get some treats while you watch!
- A Hidden Figures jam session starter pack: We’ll get you two copies of the Hidden Figures soundtrack (as soon as it becomes available in early 2017). Hear one of the tracks here.
- A chance to publish an original contributed piece to #VanguardSTEM.
How do you win?
Read the book (and participate in the challenges)! There are 23 chapters in the book and about 6 weeks left until the movie premieres. That means, we’ll plan to read/discuss 4 chapters every week (although to win the grand prize you’ll have to read faster than that!). Every Monday, we’ll post a Hidden Figures-related question about the week’s chapters, which you’ll be required to answer during our scheduled Sunday chats using Facebook (FB), Twitter or Instagram (IG).
What is this weeks’ challenge?
Week 1 challenge (all must be completed by midnight ET on Sunday, November 20, 2016) to qualify for this week:
- Friend/add us on FB, IG, Snapchat and Twitter (@VanguardSTEM).
- Tag/mention @VanguardSTEM in a post on one of those 4 platforms with the contest graphic and:
- Let us know you’re participating by taking a selfie of you reading/holding the Hidden Figures book, tag #VSdoesHF, #VanguardSTEM and #HiddenFigures on FB, Twitter, Snapchat or IG.
- Read chapters 1 – 7 of Hidden Figures (to stay on track for the grand prize) OR chapters 1-4 for any of the other prizes
- Answer the question, “Even though Katherine Johnson rightfully garners a lot of attention in popular media about Hidden Figures, why was Dorothy Vaughan so critical to Katherine Johnson’s later feats? Give an example of how you have either behaved in a similar way or seen someone behave that way, tell us about it and why it had such impact then and now.”
How is the winner selected?
In order to be eligible for the grand prize, you have to complete every challenge and participate in the discussion within the timeframe described and post on social media as described by the challenges. Those who complete the challenges will qualify to be entered into a random drawing to select the winner.
Email, tweet or post your questions to FB or IG and we’ll do our best to answer them.
Here are the links to all of our platforms:
Copyright © 2016 by The SeRCH Foundation
All rights reserved. The content above or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of #VanguardSTEM except for the use of brief quotations, with attribution, and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to #VanguardSTEM, addressed “Attention: Permissions Coordinator,” at firstname.lastname@example.org